After a long day, we look forward to a good night’s sleep. However, nobody wants to sleep on a dirty mattress. This is especially true if you eat in bed, don’t change your sheets, and don’t rotate your mattress.
Sleep plays an important role in our overall health, but germs can linger under the covers and in your mattress. Here’s how to keep your mattress fresh and clean:
You Don’t Have to Throw Out Your Mattress
Our mattresses collect sweat, bacteria, and dead skin cells over the years. It can cause spores to grow on the mattress and leads to breathing in toxins. That’s why you need to thoroughly clean your mattress twice a year to prevent illnesses.
Taking care of your mattress doesn’t have to be difficult. Here are six ways to extend the life of your mattress:
- Rotate your mattressYou should rotate your mattress twice a year (if it doesn’t have a pillow top, then it needs to be flipped every three months). Over time, your body leaves an impression in the mattress. It needs to be rotated in order for it to return to its original form and extend the life of the mattress.
- Vacuum the mattressVacuuming removes dust, dead skin cells, food particles, and dirt. You should vacuum at least once a month. To make cleaning easy, you can use a upholstery attachment.
- Deodorizing mattressDeodorizing after vacuuming can help eliminate any foul smells on your mattress. The most commonly used method of deodorizing is to sprinkle baking soda over the section of the mattress that smells. Let it settle for 30 minutes, then vacuum with the upholstery attachment.
- Steam cleaningAnother effective way to kill germs is steam cleaning. Steam cleaning uses heat to sanitize the pillow top. There are professional steam cleaning services available if you do not own one.
- Change your sheetsRegularly change and clean your sheets to avoid moisture from building up in the pillow top and avoid foul smells.
- Stain removalStains can be hard to remove. However, stains from blood, sweat, vomit, urine, and food stains can be easy to clean if done right. The best time to clean a stain is right away. Any liquid stain should be first cleaned with a damp cloth and then dapped with a dry cloth. Press down on the pillow top when cleaning instead of a circular motion in order to contain the stain. Different stains require different solutions but in general, it can be removed with a mixture of salt, water and baking soda. You may also buy a bottle of stain remover at the grocery store.
Is your mattress old and beyond saving? Mattressville has a wide selection of mattresses that are sure to have you feeling rested and refreshed! Browse our selection of mattresses here or call us today at 888 841-0905 to learn more.